Welcome to my first blog post on our new website. For the past couple of years Marty and I have been working to improve the website. The old site had become "buggy" and a challenge to maintain. It also hadn't been updated since before the onsluaght of mobile devices, and the resulting requirement by Google that sites be mobile-friendly to rank high in search results, so it was in sesrious need of a facelift.
The upgrade was a massive undertaking that required moving nearly 13,000 images, upgrading the server and building a responsive design that would create a pleasant user experience and be compatible with mobile devices. We wanted everything to be easy to use on mobile devices from the homepage to galleries.
Here is a list of some of the improvements:
- Fully-responsive design that reformats for easy use on computers, tablets, phones and other mobile devices
- Responsive photo galleries that will reformat for easy use on computers, tablets, phones and other mobile devices
- Addition of a video gallery that is also responsive and will reformat for easy use on computers, tablets, phones and other mobile devices
- Advanced security features behind the scenes to protect our site and our visitors from viruses, adware and spyware
- Simplified photo upload process so Marty and I can add new photos quicly
- Three times as much server spice and additional bandwidth to improve overall site performance and allow for future growth
- Scalable software that can grow with the site
- Dual, multi-location, back-up feature to clone two copies of our site that can be used for restoration in the event of a problem
The upgrade process was anything but smooth. I ran into a number of challenges that delayed things and frustrated me. This was supposed to only take 3 months originally! I'm glad it is finally done and we can start adding new content. I know Marty has a couple of years of backlogged content ready to post so look for that in the coming months. We hope you like the improvements and thank you for sticking with us all of these years!